Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gimmick...with a Side of Sushi

When I go out for sushi I am looking for fresh and crisp flavors like cucumber, crab, and avocado. Do I want my sushi to taste like a Philly Cheesesteak? Absolutely not. Will I be ordering sushi at Sushi Rock any time soon? Doubtful.


Okay, okay…I didn't walk into Arlington's new sushi bar with a very open mind. I figured it'd be like a Japanese Hard Rock Cafe and I wasn't completely off base. I was greeted by Steve Perry and Journey blasting from the speakers. To the left of the entrance are zebra print booths and on the right is a bar backed by black and red drum sticks. This place has kitsch written all over it. It gets worse when you open the menu. Every item…from cocktails to main courses…has a rock and roll inspired name. You'll find the "Light My Fire" roll (with panko crusted shrimp) and the Bowie (an entree with salmon and potatoes). What you won't find are many classic sushi combinations. I ordered the "Wild Thing" roll which pairs tempura scallop and bacon and my friend ordered the "Satisfaction" roll which is steak, onion, and a spicy cheese sauce. Essentially a cheesesteak wrapped in rice instead of bread. Sushi Rock goes a bit overboard with the creativity.


While the sushi leaves a lot to be desired the drinks are a totally different story. From champagne cocktails to exotic fruity concoctions there's something for everybody. During happy hour (which lasts until 8pm…yay) cocktails are only $6 so you can enjoy a couple of the funky libations without breaking the bank! I'd love to hear what you think of the place so you should check out its Grand Opening Party coming up on May 26th from 6pm until close. I've heard rumors of karaoke and if those rumors are true you can bet I will be there…ready to sip and sing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Libations!!!

Also, salmon with potatoes does not sound very Bowie to me.