Saturday, April 24, 2010

Coffee + Wine = Heaven

When I first moved to Arlington almost four years ago my favorite weekend spot was Murky Coffee. Sure, it was kind of a dump. The couches were falling apart, the stairs were creaky, and I wouldn't dare use the five second rule if I happened to drop a pastry on that filthy floor. But, it had a certain charm...mostly from the heavenly cappuccinos which were by far the best in the city. So, when they closed I felt a bit homeless. I tried desperately to find a few place to call my own. Java Hut, while conveniently two blocks away from my apartment, put too much foam in their cappuccino and didn't have ample seating. Cosi had plenty of tables and free wireless, but their coffee was terrible and, as my sister put it, "their bread smells so corporate". Ick. No thanks.


I had pretty much resigned myself to using my stove top espresso maker for the rest of my life when I heard talk of Northside Social opening up in the old Murky Coffee space. Joy! They had a lot to live up to, so I dropped by during their opening week to check things out.


The smell of coffee is one of my favorite things (you can smell it from about a block away as you approach Northside Social), but combined with the intoxicating aroma of the breads, muffins, and scones they bake in-house…well, words cannot describe. Not only does it smell awesome, but they did a great job sprucing up the place. It has all the charm of Murky Coffee (and then some) without all the grime. Plenty of natural light and beautiful wood furnishings make the space warm and inviting.


Now, the big test. How does Northside Social satisfy the taste buds?? It passes with flying colors! The cappuccino was strong yet slightly sweet from the milk…basically perfect. On a second visit I ordered the most ooey-gooey grilled cheese I've ever had. I've heard rave reviews about the Pork Belly Sandwich, so that's next on the "to order" list. You don't have to limit yourself to just breakfast and lunch, though. After 4pm the evening menu offers affordable main dishes like Poached Gulf Shrimp ($8) and Duck Confit ($10). And…drum roll please…there's a wine bar upstairs! The folks responsible for this (and for Liberty Tavern AND the brand new Lyon Hall) are clearly geniuses…and probably mind readers since I'm sure I've thought about wine and coffee under the same roof a gazillion times. I'm definitely becoming a regular...and you should too!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been to Murky Coffee and can't wait to try the new place. Take me there, Becky!

Tarara said...

I miss murky coffee, but this gives me hope for my next visit! coffee and a spicy chicken sandwich for breakfast (dinner) sounds perfect to me!

Tarara said...

One question...do they do the fun designs in the foam like murky coffee did?

Unknown said...

Next time I visit we have to go!!

Becky said...

They do! On Sunday morning I had a heart in my cappuccino.

RudiB said...

ooooh, this post has me salivating! I've been wanting to try this place out! Next happy hour, I say we go for the wine!

...Also, on the new wine bar agenda: Screwtop. Its off the beaten path in Clarendon and has the most delicious wines and cheeses!