Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pancetta-Wrapped Pork Roast

Pittsburgh is a pretty awesome city...magical even. I grew up there, so I'm a little bit biased, but here are just a few of the reasons:

1.The people have developed their own language (Pittsburghese)
2. There are not one, not TWO, BUT THREE rivers! Woa.
3. The Pens won the Stanley Cup last year and are on their way to winning it again.
4. The Steelers have six Super Bowl Rings.
5. The Pirates have a nice field...
7. My parent's kitchen

The kitchen at my parent's house is the most magical of all. Cooking there is always a breeze and everything comes out delicious. I guess it could have something to do with the top notch appliances and the seemingly endless counter space that I clearly do not have at my overpriced one bedroom Arlington apartment. But, I think it's mostly the Pittsburgh Magic. Don't believe me? This beautiful German's Chocolate Cake would have ended up all over the floor if I had made it in my own kitchen:

Sometimes my oven shuts off in the middle of cooking so my Pancetta wrapped Pork would not have turned out like this:

And it would have tasted awful and I wouldn't be giving you this recipe. You're lucky my parents have a magical kitchen in Pittsburgh.

Pancetta Wrapped Pork Roast
from Giada DeLaurentiis

8 large garlic cloves
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 (3 1/2 pound to 4 pound) tied boneless pork loin roast
Salt and pepper
4 oz. thinly sliced pancetta
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups white wine

Blend the garlic, rosemary, thyme, and olive oil in a food processor until garlic in minced. Sprinkle the pork roast generously with salt and pepper. Arrange the pancetta slices on a work surface, overlapping slightly and forming a rectangle. Spread half of the garlic mixture over 1 side of the pork and between the 2 loins that meet in the center of the tied pork roast. Place the pork, garlic mixture side down, in the center of the pancetta rectangle. Spread the remaining garlic mixture over the remaining pork. Wrap the pancetta slices around the pork. Place the pork in a roasting pan. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Pour 1/2 cup of broth and 1/2 cup of wine into the roasting pan. Add more broth and wine to the pan juices every 20 minutes. Roast the pork until a meat thermometer inserted into the center registers 145 degrees F for medium-rare, about 1 hour. Transfer the pork to a cutting board. Tent with aluminum foil and let stand for 10 minutes. Pour the pan drippings into a glass measuring cup and spoon off any fat that rises to the top.

Using a large sharp carving knife, cut the pork into 1/4-inch-thick slices and serve with the pan juices.


1 comment:

Tarara said...

I have to visit this magical kitchen more often! Is it a calorie free kitchen too?